Saturday, December 12, 2009

Unique-ly Normal...

Language Complications ~ Part 1


So, we all know that language is an IMPORTANT part of life, no matter which form you are using. One needs language to efficiently sum up their thoughts or feelings and mail it over [pardon the awkward pun] to their receiver, and he/she, it, or that thing will send back another idea in the same format [or lack thereof] and an exchange will occur.

Here are some examples:
Selené + Mom
Me: Mornings <--My grammatically horrible version of "Good Morning"
Mom: You're late
Me: ...Mornings!
Mom: Go get ready for school
Me:....MORNINGS!!!
Mom: You're annoying
Me: ...
Mom: You're noisy
Me: .......
Me: .......
Mom: Shut up...
Me: [stops breathing to refrain from making noise]

Thus, I shall be presenting, every once in a while, cliché (and I mean VERY cliché) phrases.
Time to really start thinking before speaking!

Phrases that just DON'T work: Part 1
Everyone is Unique.

Yes, I believe everyone has heard of this one before, either at school or in another environment. Teachers say it, your parents say it, random people on the street say it, people live by it, etc etc...but has anyone really thought of what it really means?

Everyone is Unique = Everyone is the same because everyone is unique...

I mean really...what was the use of bringing that up in the beginning? If I wanted someone to tell me I am not a failure in life, its way (and I mean WAYY) easier (and better!) to say something like: You are a very unique person!

...I know that would make ME feel a LOT better...

3 comments:

  1. I think the term "unique" is a beautiful thing, even though what you said makes perfect sense. I don't think EVERYONE is unique because if everyone was, there wouldn't be cliques, stereotypes, and distinct groups of people. I think when people use the term," unique", they use it when comparing it to a group that is the same in many ways, linking the unique one only by a few things but then obviously showing the contrast. Unique is something that not EVERYONE can be, but many are. A Good Example: Lady Gaga. I know, I know. Its such a cop out, but I love her. She's like the Jesus for those who embrace the weird (like myself.) She's Unique because compared to, I don't know, let's say... Britany Spears, Beyonce, Fergie, and Taylor Swift, she's the one with more edge, who speaks out more, who isn't afraid to wear something outrageous that ISN'T in style. And using that exact group of people, we can ALSO say that Taylor Swift is unique because, unlike the other very known, idolized female pop-divas, Tay-Swift is more humble, relatable, less Diva-like.
    ...You know?
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment! You have brought me one step closer to my goal with this blog; to hear and see other peoples' ideas!
    I totally agree with what you say too. Unique can mean lots of things, and its always interesting to see how different people think!
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!

    PS: Lady Gaga and Taylor Swift are both some of my favorite singers! They're almost the opposite of each other, and each is leading their own genre. Thats what makes each of them wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be unique and have a sense of humility over our uniqueness is important too. If you think you can pull out anything and point at people saying that they've got a cliche way of thinking is not really a good thing to do all the time. Sometimes people say 'dont do that' for a good reason. :)

    ReplyDelete

A penny for your thoughts?